New Inflammation Treatment Acquired by Pharmalink
the Clinical Pain Advisor take:
Pharmalink AB has acquired a novel product currently in development for treating inflammation from Synartro AB.
Synartro had been developing the product using their drug delivery technology to make pharmaceuticals that act locally and limit systemic exposure. The product consists of an anti-inflammatory drug that has been conjugated to a biopolymer. It has shown promising results in pre-clinical studies for the treatment of osteoarthritis, and Pharmalink plans to bring the product through clinical trials.
Pharmalink is a speciality pharmaceutical company that focuses on developing products for niche and orphan indications. They have previously developed similar, locally-acting, anti-inflammatory drugs with limited systemic uptake. Their product, Nefecon, is an oral, modified-release capsule of budesonide, currently in Phase 2b clinical development for patients with IgA neuropathy who are at risk of developing end-stage renal disease.
“The acquisition of this novel product opportunity is a great addition to our pipeline and an example of the progress we are making in executing our strategy.” Johan Häggblad, Managing Director of Pharmalink, said in a press release. “This candidate product offers exciting potential for development in multiple inflammatory indications where local administration of the drug without systemic effects is important. It is also a good strategic fit with our existing clinical-stage portfolio.”
The product will be indicated for osteoarthritis.
Pharmalink AB, a specialty pharma company, recently announced that it has acquired a novel product candidate in development for treating inflammation from Synartro AB. No financial details were disclosed.
The product candidate, which consists of an anti-inflammatory drug conjugated to a biopolymer, was developed using Synartro's drug delivery technology to create locally acting pharmaceuticals with limited systemic exposure.
Pharmalink intends to develop the product for osteoarthritis, an indication where it has demonstrated promising results in pre-clinical studies. Pharmalink officials said they will apply the formulation and clinical development expertise to advance the candidate product through clinical trials toward market.
Pharmalink's most advanced product is Nefecon, a new oral, modified-release capsule of the corticosteroid, budesonide, in Phase 2b clinical development for treating patients with IgA nephropathy at risk of developing end-stage renal disease, despite optimized standard-of-care therapy.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Rheumatologist-Assessed vs Criteria for Inflammatory Back Pain in Psoriatic Arthritis
- Rates of Concurrent Opioid, Sedative-Hypnotic Prescription Fills in Veterans
- Current Guidelines for Management of Low Back Pain
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Ketamine: Mechanisms of Action, Uses in Pain Medicine, and Side Effects
- Medicinal Cannabis May Not Have Opioid-Sparing Effects in Chronic Noncancer Pain
- Cannabis May Be Effective for Migraine Treatment
- Chronic Neck Pain: Generators, Clinical Examination, MRI Findings, and Differential Diagnosis
- Should Drug Testing Be Implemented Before Prescribing Opioids and Benzodiazepines?
- Dexmedetomidine May Prolong Analgesia Duration in Nerve Blocks
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Cochrane Data Release and the Case for Open Science
- Pretreatment With Sumatriptan Can Reduce Cilostazol-Induced Headaches
- Effects of Pain, Depression, and Insomnia on Health Care Use in Older Adults With Osteoarthritis