Generic Name and Formulations:
Donepezil HCl 5mg, 10mg, 23mg; tabs.
Indications for ARICEPT:
Tabs: Swallow whole with water. ODT: dissolve on tongue, follow with water. Mild-to-moderate: Initially 5mg daily at bedtime, may increase to max 10mg daily after 4–6 weeks; usual dose: 5mg or 10mg once daily. Moderate-to-severe: initially 5mg daily at bedtime, may increase to 10mg daily after 4–6 weeks; may further increase to max 23mg daily after 3 months; usual dose: 10mg or 23mg once daily.
Cardiac conduction conditions. Peptic ulcer. Monitor for GI bleeding. Seizures. Asthma or COPD. GU obstruction. Body weight <55kg. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (piperidine deriv).
Drugs that affect CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 may affect rate of elimination. Antagonizes anticholinergics. May potentiate succinylcholine-type muscle relaxants, other cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanecol). Concomitant NSAIDs may increase risk of GI bleed.
Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, insomnia, muscle cramps, fatigue, anorexia, weight loss (esp. using 23mg/day dose).
Tabs 5mg, 10mg—30, 90, 1000; 23mg—30, 90; ODT—30
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Women Frequently Prescribed High Doses of Opioids After Vaginal Delivery
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Prioritizing Rest in Hospital Settings: Poor Sleep Increases Costs, Complications, and Mortality
- Pain Catastrophizing Decreases in Rheumatoid Arthritis After DMARD Initiation
- Addressing Commercial Incentives in the Medical Device Industry
- Cancer Patients Treated With Step III Opioids Often Have Sleep Disturbances
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective