Generic Name and Formulations:
Fomepizole 1g/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; preservative-free.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Indications for ANTIZOL:
Ethylene glycol or methanol poisoning; or suspected ethylene glycol or methanol ingestion, either alone or in combination with hemodialysis.
Give by slow IV infusion over 30mins. Loading dose of 15mg/kg, followed by 10mg/kg every 12hrs for 4 doses, then 15mg/kg every 12hrs until ethylene glycol or methanol concentration is <20mg/dL and patient is asymptomatic with normal pH. Hemodialysis: see literature.
Allergy to pyrazoles.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Renal failure, significant or worsening metabolic acidosis, or high ethylene glycol or methanol concentrations (≥50mg/dL); consider hemodialysis in addition to fomepizole. Obtain blood gases, pH, electrolytes, liver enzymes, BUN, creatinine, urinalysis, ECG, WBCs frequently during therapy. Monitor serum and urine ethylene glycol concentrations and presence of urinary oxalate crystals; or serum methanol concentrations. Monitor for allergic reactions. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor.
Potentiates or potentiated by ethanol. May affect or be affected by CYP450 inducers/inhibitors (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine, cimetidine, ketoconazole).
Headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, bad taste/metallic taste; rare: mild rash, eosinophilia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?