Compared to placebo, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) were associated with a significantly higher risk of headache (risk ratio [RR] 1.06, 95% CI: 1.00 to 1.13; P =.045).
Substantial evidence suggests a close connection between neuropathic pain and mood disorders.
Analgesics may be more effective in alleviating pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia compared with topical therapies, antivirals, antidepressants, and antiepileptics.
No conclusive evidence was found supporting the efficacy of antidepressants in the pediatric population.
There is no association between intellectual disability and maternal use of antidepressants during pregnancy.
Researchers identified characteristics associated with pain improvement in patients with fibromyalgia who take antidepressant medications.
Serum concentration levels of several antidepressants were lower in cigarette smokers vs non-smokers.
Patients with fibromyalgia syndrome are 1.40 times more likely to develop peptic ulcer disease compared with those without.
Death and serious outcomes resulting from overdose or poisoning from drugs used to treat depression more than doubled during the last decade and a half, found a recent study, with amitriptyline topping the list.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Emergency Physicians Offer Recommendations for Identifying and Managing Opioid Use Disorder
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Higher PainDETECT Scores, Neuropathic Pain Preoperatively May Increase Risk for Chronic Pain Post-TKR
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Erenumab Reduces Monthly Migraine Days in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Migraine
- Government and Industry Lead the Way in Funding USPSTF Systematic Reviews
- Communication-Based Intervention Increases Goals-of-Care Discussions Between Physicians, Patients With Serious Illness