The FDA has approved Apadaz for the short-term management of acute pain severe enough to require an opioid analgesic and for which alternative treatments are inadequate.
Parent- and nurse-controlled analgesia may not reduce postoperative pain in children with developmental delay compared with opioids administered by a nurse as needed.
Lidocaine infusions were shown to provide long-lasting and adequate analgesia in 41% of patients with chronic pain.
For patients presenting to the emergency department in pain, who are subsequently admitted to the hospital, the cost per hour in moderate or severe pain averted is higher for patient-controlled analgesia vs standard care.
The motivation for pain relief is higher in patients compared with healthy individuals.
Multiple psychosocial factors such as depression, anxiety, and pain catastrophizing are associated with opioid analgesic response.
Hypnotic analgesia has been linked with significant reductions in pain-related outcomes.
Connectivity in the right midfrontal gyrus may help predict placebo response.
"Our study shows that clinically significant placebo effects can be produced even when patients are told that they are being given placebos."
Researchers find male users report greater benefits compared to women
Common brain regions activated during meditation and pain
Peripheral anti-nociceptive effects of Substance P
Mu-Opioid Analgesic in Phase III Offers Hope for the Management of Chronic Pain Without Addictive Side EffectsJuly 22, 2016
Slowing entry through the blood-brain barrier
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Reviewing the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Cannabis-Based Medicines for Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Femoral Nerve Block Alone or in Combination With Sciatic Nerve Block for TKA: A Meta-Analysis
- Tackling the Chronic Pain and Opioid Use Disorder Crises Through Public-Private Partnerships
- How the City of San Francisco Is Tackling the Intertwined HIV/HCV and Opioid Epidemics
- The State of Drug Storage, Disposal Labeling Information for Opioid Analgesics
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Chronic Hip Pain: Reviewing the Evidence
- Opioid Use Disorder Treatment: Evidence-Based Guideline
- Betel Quid Addiction and Implications for Substance Use Disorder
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies, and Effective Treatments
- Exparel Approved for Use as Interscalene Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation May Prevent Migraine in Adolescents
- Widespread Impact of Reducing Opioids, Adding IV Acetaminophen for Postsurgical Pain Management
- GI Safety Compared for NSAIDs in Patients With Arthritis
- Opioid Prescribing Trends in Patients With, Without Cancer
- DOJ Rescinds Protections Afforded by Americans With Disabilities Act