The FDA has approved Apadaz for the short-term management of acute pain severe enough to require an opioid analgesic and for which alternative treatments are inadequate.
Parent- and nurse-controlled analgesia may not reduce postoperative pain in children with developmental delay compared with opioids administered by a nurse as needed.
Lidocaine infusions were shown to provide long-lasting and adequate analgesia in 41% of patients with chronic pain.
For patients presenting to the emergency department in pain, who are subsequently admitted to the hospital, the cost per hour in moderate or severe pain averted is higher for patient-controlled analgesia vs standard care.
The motivation for pain relief is higher in patients compared with healthy individuals.
Multiple psychosocial factors such as depression, anxiety, and pain catastrophizing are associated with opioid analgesic response.
Hypnotic analgesia has been linked with significant reductions in pain-related outcomes.
Connectivity in the right midfrontal gyrus may help predict placebo response.
"Our study shows that clinically significant placebo effects can be produced even when patients are told that they are being given placebos."
Researchers find male users report greater benefits compared to women
Common brain regions activated during meditation and pain
Peripheral anti-nociceptive effects of Substance P
Mu-Opioid Analgesic in Phase III Offers Hope for the Management of Chronic Pain Without Addictive Side EffectsJuly 22, 2016
Slowing entry through the blood-brain barrier
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Factors Associated With Suboptimal Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block for Arthroscopy
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Scholarship Support Limited for Veterans Enrolling in MD Programs
- Alpha and Beta Band Activity in MS-Related Chronic Pain
- New Opioid-Induced Constipation Management Guidelines Available