Generic Name and Formulations:
Amitriptyline HCl 10mg, 25mg, 50mg, 75mg, 100mg, 150mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
- Opioids vs Nonopioid Medications for Chronic Back, Knee, and Hip Osteoarthritis Pain
- Assessing the Efficacy of Low-Dose Amitriptyline for Idiopathic Chronic Neck Pain
- Trigger Point Injections, Pulsed Radiofrequency for Abdominal Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Indications for Amitriptyline:
Depression especially endogenous.
Initially 75mg daily in divided doses or 50–100mg daily at bedtime; max 150mg daily. Elderly and adolescents: reduce dose.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Acute post MI.
History of seizures, urinary retention, glaucoma. Cardiovascular disease. Suicidal tendencies. Surgery. ECT. Psychosis. Hyperthyroidism. Liver dysfunction. Diabetes. Gradually reduce to lowest effective maintenance dose. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
During or within 5 weeks of fluoxetine. Hyperpyretic crises, severe convulsions, and death with MAOIs (see Contraindications). May block guanethidine. Potentiates alcohol, barbiturates, other CNS depressants. Delirium with disulfiram, ethchlorvynol. Paralytic ileus with anticholinergics. Hyperpyrexia with anticholinergics, sympathomimetics. Monitor serum levels with CYP450 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, cimetidine, phenothiazines, propafenone, flecainide, others: see literature).
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects, CNS overstimulation, arrhythmias, stroke, coma, confusion, extrapyramidal symptoms, hypo- or hypertension, nausea, fatigue, rash, increased perspiration, headache, photosensitivity, edema, blood dyscrasias, alopecia, libido changes, changes in blood sugar; women: breast enlargement, galactorrhea; men: testicular swelling, gynecomastia.
Formerly known under the brand name Elavil.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer