Generic Name and Formulations:
Ciclesonide 80mcg/inh, 160mcg/inh; metered dose aerosol.
Indications for ALVESCO:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy in patients ≥12 years of age.
Previously on bronchodilators alone: initially 80mcg twice daily, max 160mcg twice daily. Previously on inhaled corticosteroids: initially 80mcg twice daily; max 320mcg twice daily. Previously on oral corticosteroids (see literature): 320mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use; avoid eyes.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack.
Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider immuneglobulin prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with inhaled corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur reduce dose gradually). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for changes in vision, increased intraocular pressure, cataracts. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Headache, nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, throat pain, upper respiratory infection, arthralgia, nasal congestion, back pain; rare: bronchospasm, immunosuppression, glaucoma, cataracts, oral candidiasis, decreased bone mineral density.
Inhaler—6.1g (60 inh)
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis