Generic Name and Formulations:
Palonosetron (as HCl) 0.075mg/1.5mL, 0.25mg/5mL; IV inj; contains mannitol.
Helsinn Therapeutics, Inc.
Indications for ALOXI:
Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately and highly emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of delayed nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of emetogenic chemotherapy, including highly emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, in children 1 month–<17yrs. Prevention of post-op nausea and vomiting for up to 24hrs after surgery in adults.
≥17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.25mg IV as a single-dose over 30 secs. Post-op: give immediately before anesthesia induction. 0.075mg IV over 10 secs.
<1 month: not established. 1 month–<17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.02mg/kg IV as a single-dose over 15 mins; max 1.5mg/dose.
Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, constipation, bradycardia, QT prolongation, diarrhea, dizziness, tachycardia, hypotension.
Single-use vial (0.075mg/1.5mL)—5; (0.25mg/5mL)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?