Generic Name and Formulations:
Albendazole 200mg; tabs.
Impax Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for ALBENZA:
Parenchymal neurocysticercosis from active lesions due to Taenia solium (pork tapeworm). Cystic hydatid disease of the liver, lung, and peritoneum due to Echinococcus granulosus (dog tapeworm).
Adults and Children:
See literature. Take with meals. Neurocysticercosis: Give for 8–30 days. Hydatid: Give for 28-day cycle followed by a 14-day free interval, for a total of 3 cycles. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs (<60kg): 15mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses; max 800mg/day. ≥6yrs (≥60kg): 400mg twice a day.
Examine for retinal lesions first. Monitor blood and hepatic function at beginning of each 28-day cycle and at least every 2 weeks; discontinue if significant increased liver enzymes or if decreases in blood counts occur. Neurocysticercosis: may need corticosteroids during the 1st week of therapy and anticonvulsants. Pregnancy (Cat.C): obtain (–) pregnancy test first. Avoid pregnancy during or for at least 1 month after stopping; discontinue if pregnancy occurs. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by dexamethasone, praziquantel, cimetidine. Monitor theophylline.
Abnormal liver function test, abdominal pain, GI upset, headache, dizziness, increased intracranial pressure, meningeal signs, reversible alopecia, fever; rarely: leukopenia, rash, acute renal failure, hematological reactions.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis