Generic Name and Formulations:
Biperiden HCl 2mg; tabs.
Indications for AKINETON:
Adjunct in the therapy of all forms of parkinsonism (eg, idiopathic, postencephalitic, arteriosclerotic). To control extrapyramidal disorders secondary to neuroleptic drug therapy (eg, phenothiazines).
Parkinson's disease: 2mg three or four times daily. Individualize and titrate upward to max 16mg/24 hours. Extrapyramidal disorders: 2mg one to three times daily.
Narrow angle glaucoma. Bowel obstruction. Megacolon.
Glaucoma. Prostatism. Epilepsy. Arrhythmia. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant alcohol. Potentiated anticholinergic effects with drugs that have secondary anticholinergic actions (eg, narcotics analgesics, phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, antiarrhythmics, antihistamines).
Anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, drowsiness, euphoria, disorientation, urinary retention, postural hypotension, constipation, agitation, disturbed behavior); rare: generalized choreic movements, reduction in REM sleep.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis