Generic Name and Formulations:
Adenosine 3mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; preservative-free.
Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
Indications for ADENOSCAN:
Adjunct to thallium-201 myocardial perfusion scintigraphy in patients unable to undergo adequate exercise stress.
Give peripherally as a continuous IV infusion. ≥18yrs: 140mcg/kg/min over 6 mins for a total dose of 0.84mg/kg. Infusion rate (mL/min)= 0.140 (mg/kg/min) x total body weight (kg)/adenosine conc. (3mg/mL). See full labeling.
<18yrs: not established.
2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block or sinus node disease (eg, sick sinus syndrome, symptomatic bradycardia), unless paced. Bronchoconstructive or bronchospastic disease (eg, asthma).
Have resuscitative measures available. Increased risk of cardiovascular events in patients with acute MI, unstable angina, or cardiovascular instability; avoid use. Pre-existing 1st-degree AV block or bundle branch block. Discontinue if persistent or symptomatic high-grade AV block or hypotension occurs. Autonomic dysfunction. Stenotic valvular heart disease. Pericarditis or pericardial effusions. Stenotic carotid artery disease with cerebrovascular insufficiency. Hypovolemia. Obstructive lung disease (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Discontinue if severe respiratory difficulties occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by β-blockers, cardiac glycosides, calcium channel blockers; use caution. Increased risk of seizures with concomitant methylxanthines (eg, caffeine, aminophylline, theophylline): not recommended. Potentiated by dipyridamole.
Flushing, chest discomfort, dyspnea, headache, throat/neck/jaw discomfort, GI discomfort, lightheadedness/dizziness; cardiac arrest, sustained ventricular tachycardia, MI, bronchoconstriction, hypo- or hypertension, cerebrovascular accident, convulsive seizures, atrial fibrillation.
Single-use vials (20mL, 30mL)—10
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- OnabotulinumtoxinA May Be Effective for Chronic Migraine With Medication Overuse
- FDA Outlines Plan for Increasing Nonprescription Drug Availability
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Hypoesthesia for Touch and Joint Position Linked to Chronic Pain in MS
- New Laws Are Needed to Protect Health Data Shared Online