Generic Name and Formulations:
Ketorolac tromethamine 0.45%; oph soln; preservative-free.
Indications for ACUVAIL:
Ocular pain and inflammation after cataract surgery.
1 drop in the affected eye twice daily beginning 1 day prior to surgery, continue on day of surgery and through first 2 weeks post-op. Concomitant other topical ophthalmics (eg, alpha-agonists, beta-blockers, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, cycloplegics, mydriatics): administer at least 5 minutes apart.
Do not administer while wearing contacts. Aspirin/NSAID sensitivity. Asthma. Bleeding tendencies. Complicated or repeated ocular surgeries. Corneal defects/denervation. Ocular surface diseases. Diabetes. Rheumatoid arthritis. May delay wound healing. Monitor cornea; discontinue if corneal epithelial breakdown occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C): avoid in late pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant topical steroids may increase potential for healing problems.
Increased intraocular pressure, conjunctival hyperemia and/or hemorrhage, corneal edema, ocular pain, headache, tearing, blurred vision; keratitis, increased ocular bleeding (including hyphemas).
Single-use vials (0.4mL)—30
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- FDA Approves Minimally-Invasive, Non-Drug Therapy for Pain Management
- Chronic Migraine and Medication Overuse Headache Linked to Stress
- Set of Personality Traits May Predict Prescription Drug Use, Misuse in Young Adults
- The Opioid Crisis: District by District
- Opioid Administration, Prescribing in the ED on the Decline in Recent Years