Investigators hypothesize that needle and laser acupuncture may improve clinical and subjective symptoms in patients with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
In the approach adopted by NICE, the benefit of acupuncture is compared with sham acupuncture rather than a direct comparison with pharmaceutical treatments.
Trigger point injection with steroids and pulsed radiofrequency treatment of trigger points may effectively relieve pain associated with abdominal myofascial pain syndrome.
A group acupuncture program may represent a safe, tolerated and effective management strategy for women with fibromyalgia by providing greater improvement in global symptom impact, pain, and fatigue compared with education.
Patients with tension-type headache experience benefit from acupuncture and stretching, especially in combination with pressure pain threshold physiotherapy hands-on techniques.
Pain expectancy may affect the pain experience in older patients with knee osteoarthritis after genuine and sham electroacupuncture.
The addition of adjunctive acupuncture to routine rehabilitation therapy after total knee replacement may not provide a significant benefit over exercise only for relieving postoperative pain.
Acupuncture may represent an effective adjuvant therapy in the management of joint pain associated with aromatase inhibitor treatment in postmenopausal women with breast cancer.
Acupuncture may reduce pain intensity and mechanical thresholds in patients with idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia.
Electrical stimulation and a higher baseline pain score were shown to be associated with a higher chance of improved pain relief with acupuncture.
Electrotherapy and acupuncture were both found to reduce and delay opioid consumption after total knee arthroplasty.
Acupuncture is a safe and effective alternative to pain medications for some emergency department patients.
Several methods of complementary and integrative medicine bring value and their integration into a headache management plan in the clinical setting empowers patients' healing process.
Acupuncture and mock laser treatment yield similar psychophysical responses.
Pressure pain sensitivity is differentially linked to response to sham vs verum acupuncture in patients with fibromyalgia.
Acupuncture was found to effectively alleviate pain associated with primary adhesive capsulitis.
The ACP developed the guideline from randomized, controlled trials and systematic reviews published through April 2015 that focused on noninvasive pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic treatments for low back pain.
Spinal cord stimulation, neurotechnology, acupuncture, neurostimulation: all effective in treating migraine, headaches.
Acupuncture is more effective than standard care in relieving TBI-associated headaches and pain.
Neurobiological mechanisms are distinct from somatic pain
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Women Frequently Prescribed High Doses of Opioids After Vaginal Delivery
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Pharmacologically Induced Headache Accompanied by Dilated Cephalic Vessels
- IV Lidocaine May Be Safe, Efficacious for Pediatric Status Migraine
- Gray Matter Changes in Migraine Associated With Clinical Characteristics