Generic Name and Formulations:
Corticorelin ovine (as the trifluoroacetate) 100mcg/vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ACTHREL:
For use in differentiating pituitary and ectopic production of ACTH in patients with ACTH-dependent Cushings syndrome.
Adults and Children:
Testing pituitary corticotrophin function: 1mcg/kg IV as a single dose. ACTH and cortisol response prolonged and remain elevated for up to 2 hours. Doses >1mcg/kg: not recommended. If repeat test needed, do tests at the same time of day as original test.
Higher doses associated with transient tachycardia, decreased BP, loss of consciousness, and asystole; symptoms may be reduced if given as a 30 second IV infusion instead of bolus inj. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) analogue.
Plasma ACTH response inhibited by dexamethasone. Heparin to maintain IV cannula patency: not recommended.
Flushing of the face, neck, upper chest; tachycardia, hypotension, dyspnea, chest compression or tightness with higher doses.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis