Generic Name and Formulations:
Zafirlukast 10mg, 20mg; tabs.
Indications for ACCOLATE:
Prophylaxis and chronic treatment of asthma.
Take 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 20mg twice daily.
Take 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. <5yrs: not recommended. 5–11yrs: 10mg twice daily.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack. Discontinue if clinical symptoms of liver dysfunction occur; do not resume if confirmed by lab results. Caution when withdrawing from oral steroids. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Leukotriene receptor antagonist.
Potentiates warfarin (monitor PT and adjust warfarin dose). Caution with drugs metabolized by CYP2C9 (eg, tolbutamide, phenytoin, carbamazepine) or CYP3A4 (eg, dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers, cyclosporine, cisapride). Zafirlukast plasma levels reduced by erythromycin, theophylline. Zafirlukast plasma levels increased by aspirin. May increase theophylline levels.
Headache, infection, GI upset, pain, fever; neuropsychiatric events (eg, insomnia, depression); rarely, hepatic dysfunction (esp. in females), agranulocytosis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- FDA Takes Steps to Reconcile Needs of Patients With Chronic Pain, Efforts to Curb Opioid Epidemic
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Neuropathic Symptoms Worsen Quality of Life, Function in Hip, Knee Osteoarthritis
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- Switching From Buprenorphine-Naltrexone to XR-Naltrexone as Effective as XR-Naltrexone
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Human Diagnosis Project Aims to Address Challenges Among Uninsured
- Healthcare Technology Affects Younger Patient Satisfaction
- FDA Announces New Drug Shortages Task Force