Abdominal & Pelvis Pain
Implementation of systematic screening for anxiety, disability and pain in children aged 8 to 18 years presenting with abdominal pain at a gastroenterology division of a large medical center resulted in an increase in screening rates and psychological referrals.
Lumbopelvic pain in well-functioning older adults was found to be associated with greater walking-related energy expenditure and reduced walking endurance compared with individuals without lumbopelvic pain.
Public-private partnership initiative develops core diagnostic criteria for abdominal, pelvic, and urogenital pain associated with irritable bowel syndrome.
Treatment with elagolix was associated with sustained reduction in average monthly dysmenorrhea and non-menstrual pelvic pain through a 12-month treatment period.
Neurostimulation through percutaneous electrical nerve field stimulation was shown to durably reduce pain in children.
At 3 months, significantly more women receiving both doses of elagolix had reductions in dysmenorrhea and nonmenstrual pelvic pain compared with those receiving placebo.
Randomized trial shows significant pain reduction for patients with chronic calcific pancreatitis.
Image-guided testing of tissue from the renal mass may lead to improved treatments, researchers say.
Review shows reduced recurrence rates for dysmenorrhea with continuous versus cyclic schedule.
More than half of elective resections done after fewer than three preceding episodes.
Case report describes 85-year-old man who presented twice with fever and painful erythema.
Researchers also report growing number of cases among women and children.
Women with asymptomatic endometriosis were less likely to experience anxiety and depression than those who have pelvic pain, the researchers also noted.
Less morbidity and lower costs for those choosing nonoperative management versus surgery.
Mortality also increased versus older adults undergoing elective procedures.
Minorities were 22% to 30% less likely to receive any pain medications compared with white patients.
Two rusted sharp ends of pin were removed from patient, without subsequent complications.
Women with chronic pelvic pain had greater connectivity in "pain" regions of the brain, regardless of presence of endometriosis.
Researchers learned that high dose Melatonin taken regularly for six weeks probably reduces fibromyalgia pain.
Clinical nonresponders have significantly higher fecal concentrations of infliximab.
Even though movement causing exacerbation of pain can happen with both somatic and visceral abdominal pain, asking patients to do a sit-up or a twister can identify trigger points in the rectus muscles and the obliques
Meta-analysis shows reduction in pain visual analog score with ginger during days three to four of cycle.
But advantage of minimally-invasive abdominal aortic aneurysm repair diminishes over time.
Increased risk of nonceliac autoimmune disease for first-degree relatives, spouses of celiac patients.
Patients 50 and up with advanced disease benefit the most.
Sustained release formula efficacious, with no indication of opioid withdrawal or increase in pain.
A main question that needs to be further explored is how anatomically and physiologically the extrinsic and intrinsic innervation of organs interact and contribute to overall pain.
High accuracy seen for both detecting presence and type of hernia.
Review examines etiology of disease and suggests stepwise approach for pain management.
The incidence of gout among CKD patients was 6.82 per 1,000 persons per year compared to 2.43 for those without the disease.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Lower Weighting of Hand Cortical Representations in CRPS
- Predicting Success of Focal Nerve Surgery Based on Diagnostic Block Response
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- FDA Announces Draft Guidance for Consumer OTC Access to Previously Prescription Drugs
- Maryland Legislature: Will Federal Courts Permit State Regulation of Drug Prices?