Generic Name and Formulations:
Vorinostat 100mg; caps.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZOLINZA:
Refractory cutaneous T-cell lymphoma.
Take with food. Swallow whole. 400mg once daily. If not tolerated, may reduce to 300mg once daily, then to 300mg once daily 5 days/week if needed. Continue until disease progression or not tolerated.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor for DVT, pulmonary embolism. Correct electrolyte disturbances before starting therapy. Maintain adequate hydration. Diabetes. Monitor CBC, platelets, blood glucose, serum creatinine, electrolytes (esp. potassium, calcium, magnesium) every 2 weeks for 1st 2 months, then monthly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Histone deacetylase inhibitor.
Increased risk of thrombocytopenia and GI bleed with other HDAC inhibitors (eg, valproic acid). Concomitant warfarin: monitor PT, INR.
GI upset, fatigue, chills; thrombocytopenia, anemia (may need to modify dose or discontinue); anorexia, dysgeusia, pulmonary embolism, DVT, hyperglycemia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Emergency Physicians Offer Recommendations for Identifying and Managing Opioid Use Disorder
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Erenumab Reduces Monthly Migraine Days in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Migraine
- Government and Industry Lead the Way in Funding USPSTF Systematic Reviews
- Communication-Based Intervention Increases Goals-of-Care Discussions Between Physicians, Patients With Serious Illness