XOPENEX HFA Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levalbuterol (as tartrate) (single-isomer albuterol) 45mcg/inh; metered dose inhaler; CFC-free.
Indications for XOPENEX HFA:
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: 2 inh every 4–6hrs; or 1 inh every 4hrs may suffice.
Do not exceed recommended dose. Monitor for increased need; if inadequate control, reevaluate and consider adding an antiinflammatory (eg, corticosteroids). Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disorders (esp. coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Seizure disorders. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Renal impairment; monitor (esp. in elderly). Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid within 2 weeks of MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants. Avoid other short-acting sympathomimetic aerosol bronchodilators, epinephrine. Antagonized by β-blockers. Caution with other drugs that may lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics). Monitor digoxin.
Accidental injury, bronchitis, dizziness, pain, pharyngitis, rhinitis, vomiting; paradoxical bronchospasm, hypersensitivity reactions, cardiovascular effects, hypokalemia.
Vials (YES); HFA (NO)
Inhaler w. actuator (80inh)—8.4g, (200 inh)—15g; Soln 0.31mg/3mL, 0.63mg/3mL, 1.25mg/3mL—24 vials; Concentrate 1.25mg/0.5mL—30 vials
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Examining the Efficacy of Different Oxygen Flow Rates for Cluster Headache Attacks
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds