XOPENEX HFA Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levalbuterol (as tartrate) (single-isomer albuterol) 45mcg/inh; metered dose inhaler; CFC-free.
Indications for XOPENEX HFA:
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: 2 inh every 4–6hrs; or 1 inh every 4hrs may suffice.
Do not exceed recommended dose. Monitor for increased need; if inadequate control, reevaluate and consider adding an antiinflammatory (eg, corticosteroids). Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disorders (esp. coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Seizure disorders. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Renal impairment; monitor (esp. in elderly). Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid within 2 weeks of MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants. Avoid other short-acting sympathomimetic aerosol bronchodilators, epinephrine. Antagonized by β-blockers. Caution with other drugs that may lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics). Monitor digoxin.
Accidental injury, bronchitis, dizziness, pain, pharyngitis, rhinitis, vomiting; paradoxical bronchospasm, hypersensitivity reactions, cardiovascular effects, hypokalemia.
Vials (YES); HFA (NO)
Inhaler w. actuator (80inh)—8.4g, (200 inh)—15g; Soln 0.31mg/3mL, 0.63mg/3mL, 1.25mg/3mL—24 vials; Concentrate 1.25mg/0.5mL—30 vials
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Pain Interference Associated With Depression, Pain Self-Efficacy in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis