Generic Name and Formulations:
Acyclovir 5% + hydrocortisone 1%; crm.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for XERESE:
Early treatment of recurrent herpes labialis (cold sores), to reduce likelihood of ulcerative cold sores and shorten lesion healing time in adults and adolescents (≥12yrs old).
Start as soon as possible after the first signs/symptoms emerge (ie, during the prodrome or when lesions appear). Wash and dry area. Apply topically to affected area on lips or around the mouth 5 times daily for 5 days. Avoid unnecessary rubbing of affected area to avoid aggravating or transferring infection. Do not occlude. Wash hands before and after application; wait at least 30 minutes before bathing, showering, or swimming.
Immunocompromised. Reevaluate if symptoms persist more than 2 weeks. Avoid eyes, inside the mouth or nose, or on the genitals. Pregnancy (Cat. B). Nursing mothers.
Do not apply other products (makeup, sunscreen, lip balm, etc) to area during treatment.
Antiviral + antiinflammatory.
Drying, flaking, burning/tingling sensation, erythema, pigmentation changes.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Pain Interference Associated With Depression, Pain Self-Efficacy in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis