Despite adding his signature to the VA Mission Act, President Donald Trump is now fighting a bipartisan plan to fund the much-needed expansion to veterans' health care.
Patients served by the beleaguered Veterans Affairs health system may have wider access to private care, thanks to a bill approved Wednesday by the Senate.
A number of factors including chronic pain co-occurring with posttraumatic stress disorder and pain interference may predict suicidal ideation and violent impulses in US veterans with chronic pain.
Neuropsychological performance may not be associated with the improvements in pain interference observed after an 8-week Acceptance and Commitment Therapy program in veterans with chronic pain.
Opioid prescribing trends in the Veterans Health Administration from 2010 to 2016 followed similar trajectories as non-VHA settings, peaking around 2012 then declining.
Opioid use was shown to be relatively low in veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan with recently diagnosed traumatic brain injuries, but approximately one-quarter of those who initiated opioids were chronic users.
Participation in a pilot functional medicine clinic decreased perceived stress and joint and muscle symptoms in veterans with chronic pain.
Yoga improved health outcomes in military veterans with chronic low back pain, including lowering their pain intensity.
The Empower Veterans Program was created by the Atlanta Veterans Administration Medical Center to improve quality of life through active self-care in veterans with chronic pain.
A targeted form of CBT is effective in treating chronic pain and substance use disorder in veterans with hepatitis C virus infection.
Rapid increases in prescription opioid dose may lead to higher rates of new-onset depression.
Out of 500 participants who initiated heroin use during the study period, more than 75% reported previous or current non-medical use of prescription opioid medications.
A combination of ketamine infusion treatment and psychotherapy was found to attenuate PTSD manifestation and reduce pain scores.
VA studies highlighting each of the chapters of the National Pain Strategy
Addressing chronic pain in veterans
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Wearable Device Cleared for Use During Opioid Detoxification
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited