Generic Name and Formulations:
Icosapent ethyl 0.5g, 1g; soft gelatin caps.
Amarin Pharma Inc.
Indications for VASCEPA:
Adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride (TG) levels in adult patients with severe (≥500mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia. Limitations of use: The effect of Vascepa on the risk for pancreatitis in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined. The effect of Vascepa on cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined.
Swallow whole. Do not crush, dissolve, or chew. 4 caps (0.5g) or 2 caps (1g) twice daily with food; maximum 4g per day.
Obtain baseline lipids before initiating therapy. Identify other causes of high triglycerides and manage appropriately (eg, diabetes, hypothyroidism, or alcohol intake). Hepatic impairment; monitor ALT and AST levels periodically during therapy. Fish and/or shellfish allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Monitor periodically with concomitant drugs that affect coagulation (eg, antiplatelet agents).
Hepatic. <99% protein bound.
Caps 0.5g—240; 1g—120
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Predicting the Magnitude of Placebo Analgesia in Chronic Pain
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Examining the Efficacy of Different Oxygen Flow Rates for Cluster Headache Attacks
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- Daily Alcohol Use May Drive Chronic Pain in Adults With HIV
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- AHA/ACC Release Updated Guidelines for Cholesterol Management
- Women Fed Soy Formula as Infants More Likely to Experience Menstrual Pain