Generic Name and Formulations:
Fenofibric acid (as choline fenofibrate) 45mg, 135mg; del-rel caps.
Indications for TRILIPIX:
Adjunct to diet to reduce TG in severe hypertriglyceridemia, and to reduce elevated LDL-C, Total-C, TG, and apo B, and to increase HDL-C in primary hypercholesterolemia or mixed dyslipidemia.
Limitations Of use:
Fenofibrate (at a dose equivalent to 135mg of Trilipix) did not reduce coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality in 2 controlled trials of patients with type 2 diabetes.
Swallow whole. Primary hypercholesterolemia or mixed dyslipidemia: 135mg once daily. Hypertriglyceridemia: 45–135mg once daily. Titrate at 4–8week intervals; max 135mg/day. Mild-to-moderate renal impairment: initially 45mg once daily.
Severe renal impairment (including on dialysis). Active liver disease. Primary biliary cirrhosis. Unexplained persistent liver function abnormalities. Gallbladder disease. Nursing mothers.
The effect on coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality and non-cardiovascular mortality has not been established. Patients with diabetes, renal failure, hypothyroidism, elderly: increased risk of myopathy. Monitor liver function; discontinue if LFTs >3XULN persist. Renal impairment: monitor renal function. Discontinue if markedly elevated CPK levels, myopathy, gallstones, hypersensitivity reactions, or severely depressed HDL-C levels occur (do not reinitiate). Monitor RBC and WBC counts during first 12 months of therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Increased risk of myopathy/rhabdomyolysis with concomitant statins, colchicine. Potentiates warfarin (monitor PT/INR). Separate dosing of bile acid sequestrants by at least 4–6 hours. Risk of nephrotoxicity with cyclosporine, tacrolimus.
Abnormal LFTs, increased AST/ALT, increased CPK, rhinitis; myopathy, rhabdomyolysis, hematological changes (eg, hgb, hct), increased serum creatinine, cholelithiasis, pancreatitis, hypersensitivity reactions (may be severe).
Hepatic; 99% protein bound.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit