Total Hip Arthroplasty
Regional anesthesia is associated with a lower opioid consumption in both knee and hip replacement surgeries, compared to general anesthesia.
Intraoperative periarticular local anesthetic infiltration and psoas compartment block may provide comparable analgesia after total hip arthroplasty.
Fewer respiratory, GI issues; reductions also seen in opioid prescriptions and hospital length of stay
The available evidence suggests that radiofrequency ablation is a feasible treatment option for chronic hip pain associated with degenerative diseases.
Patients undergoing total hip and total knee arthroplasties in small- and medium-sized hospitals have been receiving increasingly greater multimodal approaches for postoperative pain management.
The use of perioperative intravenous corticosteroids provides effective pain relief, has a favorable safety profile, and is associated with a reduction in opioid use in patients undergoing total knee or hip arthroplasty.
Adding a sciatic nerve block to a continuous femoral nerve block after total hip arthroplasty significantly reduces pain.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer