Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfadiazine 500mg; tabs.
Indications for Sulfadiazine:
Susceptible infections including chancroid, trachoma, inclusion conjunctivitis, nocardiosis, UTI (secondary therapy), toxoplasmosis encephalitis, meningococcal meningitis, acute otitis media, rheumatic fever.
Initially 2–4g. Maintenance: 2–4g divided into 3–6 doses every 24 hours.
<2 months: see Contraindications. ≥2months: Initially ½ the 24-hour dose. Maintenance: 150mg/kg divided into 4–6 doses every 24 hours, max 6g/24hrs. Rheumatic fever prophylaxis: <30kg: 500mg every 24 hours; >30kg: 1g every 24 hours.
Infants <2 months of age (except as adjunctive therapy with pyrimethamine in the treatment of congenital toxoplasmosis). Pregnancy at term. Nursing mothers.
Do not use to treat group A betahemolytic streptococcal infections. Renal or hepatic impairment. Bronchial asthma. Severe allergy. G6PD deficiency. Maintain adequate hydration. Obtain CBCs and urinalyses frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
May be potentiated by indomethacin, probenecid, salicylates. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, methotrexate, sulfonylureas, thiazide diuretics, uricosuric agents.
Blood dyscrasias, allergic reactions, GI upset, hepatitis, pancreatitis, stomatitis, headache, peripheral neuritis, depression, convulsions, ataxia, hallucinations, tinnitus, vertigo, insomnia, crystalluria, stone formation, toxic nephrosis, oliguria, anuria; rare: goiter production, diuresis, hypoglycemia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit