Flashcards: Good For Studying And Concussions?
the Clinical Pain Advisor take:
A study published online by NYU Langone Concussion Center researchers in the Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology, demonstrates how an eye test could help diagnose concussions in youth sports.
The study, conducted on 89 NCAA athletes and a younger subset of 243 athletes younger than age 17, and shows how the King-Devick test, could help mitigate the problems that face concussion diagnosis in youth sports.
Study author Steven Galetta, MD, the Philip K. Moskowitz, MD Professor and Chair of Neurology at NYU Langone Medical Center, said in a press release that the test can easily be administered on the sidelines by parents and non-health care professionals when athletic trainers and doctors are not available to monitor sidelines at youth sports games.
As part of the King-Devick test, athletes read numbers off of three pieces of paper while being timed with a stopwatch. A worsened performance from a baseline reading suggests a concussion has occurred.
Some sideline tests only measure cognition and balance, but visual testing is rarely performed, despite longstanding evidence that vision is commonly affected by concussion, according to a review article published by Galetta and colleagues.
The study was conducted on athletes younger than age 17.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Non-Opioid Therapies for Pain Management in the ED
- CBT vs Pain Education for Chronic Pain in Low-Income Clinics
- Risks Associated With Intra-Articular Lumbar Facet Joint Injections of Triamcinolone Acetonide for Low Back Pain
- Factors Predicting Pain Outcomes After TKR for Knee Osteoarthritis
- Lumbar Disc Herniation With Radiculopathy Treatment Using Targeted Indwelling ESI
- Exploring the Connections Between Neuropathic Pain and Comorbid Mood Disorders
- Medical Marijuana Laws, Dispensaries May Reduce Deaths From Opioid Overdose
- Ketamine Infusion May Be Effective for the Short-Term Relief of CRPS-Associated Pain
- An Avenue for the Development of Opioid Adjuncts for Enhanced Analgesia, Reduced Abuse Potential
- Peripheral Neuropathy Management in the Primary Care Setting: A Guide
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies and Effective Treatments
- Identifying Medication-Overuse Headache
- Betel Quid Addiction and Implications for Substance Use Disorder
- New Blood Test Shows High Accuracy for Diagnosing Fibromyalgia
- Recognizing the Pioneering Women in Medicine for Women's History Month