Generic Name and Formulations:
Nusinersen 12mg/5mL; soln for intrathecal inj; preservative-free.
Indications for SPINRAZA:
Spinal muscular atrophy.
Adults and Children:
Consider sedation and ultrasound or other imaging techniques as guidance. Remove 5mL of cerebrospinal fluid prior to inj. Give as intrathecal bolus inj over 1–3 mins. 12mg (5mL) per dose. Initially: give 3 loading doses at 14-day intervals then give 4th loading dose 30 days after. Maintenance: give dose once every 4 months thereafter.
Do not administer in areas of infected or inflamed skin. Increased risk of bleeding complications. Perform platelet count, prothrombin time, aPTT, quantitative spot urine protein testing at baseline, prior to each dose, and as clinically needed; consider repeat testing if urine protein >0.2g/L. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Lower/upper respiratory infection, constipation, teething, UTI, ear infection; thrombocytopenia, coagulation abnormalities, renal toxicity.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use High in Migraine
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Restless Leg Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and Depression Frequent in Migraine
- Percutaneous Electrolysis May Be Useful Adjunct for Subacromial Pain Syndrome
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Targeted Educational Intervention Helped Reduce Opioid Exposure in Adult Inpatients
- Systematic Cross-Checking May Reduce Medical Errors in Emergency Departments
- Corticosteroid Plus Lidocaine Injections Do Not Alleviate Pain in Central Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
- Tofacitinib May Effectively Alleviate Pain in RA, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis