Generic Name and Formulations:
Riluzole 50mg; tabs.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for RILUTEK:
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Take on an empty stomach. 50mg every 12 hours.
Hepatic insufficiency; discontinue if ALT ≥5xULN or if jaundice develops; rechallenge not recommended. Measure LFTs before and during therapy: ALT every month for first 3 months, every 3 months for the remainder of the year, then periodically thereafter. Increased risk of neutropenia; monitor for febrile illness and obtain WBC. Perform chest radiography if respiratory symptoms develop. Females. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant hepatotoxic agents (eg, allopurinol, methyldopa, sulfasalazine). Avoid excessive alcohol. May be potentiated by CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, caffeine, phenacetin, theophylline, amitriptyline, quinolones). May be antagonized by CYP1A2 inducers (eg, cigarette smoke, charcoal-broiled food, rifampicin, omeprazole).
Asthenia, nausea, dizziness, decreased lung function, diarrhea, abdominal pain, pneumonia, vomiting, vertigo, circumoral paresthesia, anorexia, somnolence; abnormal liver function tests, neutropenia, interstitial lung disease, hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Higher PainDETECT Scores, Neuropathic Pain Preoperatively May Increase Risk for Chronic Pain Post-TKR
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Erenumab Reduces Monthly Migraine Days in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Migraine
- Government and Industry Lead the Way in Funding USPSTF Systematic Reviews
- Communication-Based Intervention Increases Goals-of-Care Discussions Between Physicians, Patients With Serious Illness