RENAGEL TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sevelamer HCl 400mg, 800mg.
Sanofi Genzyme Company
Indications for RENAGEL TABLETS:
Control of serum phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.
Swallow whole with meals. Patients not taking a phosphate binder: serum phosphorus >5.5 to <7.5mg/dL: 800mg 3 times daily; 7.5–<9mg/dL: 1.2–1.6g 3 times daily; ≥9mg/dL: 1.6g 3 times daily. Titrate by 1 tab per meal at 2-week intervals to keep serum phosphorus ≤5.5mg/dL. Switching from calcium acetate to sevelamer: see full labeling.
Dysphagia. Swallowing disorders. Severe GI motility disorders. Major GI tract surgery. Monitor serum bicarbonate, chloride. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant with drugs that have a narrow therapeutic index; monitor. Consider separation of administration with cyclosporine, tacrolimus, or levothyroxine. Separate dosing of ciprofloxacin by ≥2hrs before or 6hrs after sevelamer; mycophenolate mofetil by ≥2hrs before sevelamer.
Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, flatulence, constipation; rare: bowel obstruction, perforation.
Tabs 400mg—360; 800mg—180
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds