Generic Name and Formulations:
Rabies vaccine, inactivated 2.5IU/mL; pwd for IM inj after reconstitution; may contain trace amounts of bovine gelatin, chicken protein, neomycin, chlortetracycline, and amphotericin B.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for RABAVERT:
Preexposure immunization and post-exposure prophylaxis of rabies.
Adults and Children:
Adults: inject into deltoid area. Small children: inject into thigh. Preexposure immunization: 3 inj of 1mL IM each on day 0, 7, and either day 21 or 28. Booster: 1 dose as needed to maintain antibody titer (see literature). Post-exposure prophylaxis: a 5-dose regimen of 1mL IM given on days 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28 (give 1st dose with human rabies immunoglobulin at a separate site). If previously immunized: 2 inj of 1mL each on days 0 and 3 (no immune globulin needed).
Immunocompromised: may get suboptimal response (monitor titers). Postpone preexposure immunization during acute febrile illness or infection. Egg allergy. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions, lymphadenopathy, headache, myalgia, malaise, dizziness, neuroparalytic events, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose vial—1 (w. diluent)
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds