Generic Name and Formulations:
Bismuth subcitrate potassium 140mg, metronidazole 125mg, tetracycline HCl 125mg; caps.
Indications for PYLERA:
To eradicate H. pylori, in combination with omeprazole, in patients with H. pylori infection and duodenal ulcer disease (active or history of).
Swallow whole with 8 oz water. 3 caps 4 times daily after meals and at bedtime for 10 days (give with omeprazole 20mg twice daily with breakfast and dinner for 10 days).
Concomitant methoxyflurane. During or within 14 days of disulfiram. Alcohol or propylene-glycol containing products (during and for ≥3days after treatment). Severe renal impairment. Pregnancy.
Potential for carcinogenicity. May cause permanent teeth discoloration during 2nd/3rd trimester of pregnancy and children up to 8yrs of age; avoid. Discontinue if superinfection, skin erythema or cutaneous reaction occurs. Blood dyscrasias. Monitor CBC with differential before and after treatment. Avoid sun, UV light. Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended; monitor in mild to moderate. Children ≤8yrs: avoid. High tetracycline doses may cause hepatotoxicity in pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. May antagonize oral contraceptives (use non-hormonal backup method). Absorption reduced by antacids containing aluminum, magnesium, or calcium; and by iron, zinc, sodium bicarbonate, and dietary calcium (clinical significance unknown). Potentiated by CYP450 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine). Antagonized by CYP450 inducers (eg, phenytoin, phenobarbital); monitor phenytoin levels. Potentiates busulfan; avoid or monitor if clinically indicated. Monitor lithium, warfarin. Intracranial hypertension with concomitant isotretinoin; avoid. May interfere with GI X-rays, liver function tests, others.
Abnormal stool, diarrhea, nausea, headache; encephalopathy, peripheral neuropathy, aseptic meningitis, intracranial hypertension (monitor), neurotoxicity, tongue darkening, leukopenia, rash
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Analyzing Coverage of Nonpharmacologic Treatments for Low Back Pain
- Smartphone App Helps Evaluate Catastrophizing in Chronic Pain
- Predicting the Magnitude of Placebo Analgesia in Chronic Pain
- Dsuvia Gains FDA Approval: We Want to Hear Your Thoughts
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Dozens of Medical Groups Join Forces to Improve Diagnoses
- FDA Grants Non-Opioid Analgesic VVZ-149 Fast Track Status
- Little to No Association Found Between Physician Performance and Medical School Ranking