Generic Name and Formulations:
Mercaptopurine (6-MP) 50mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Mercaptopurine:
Maintenance therapy of acute lymphatic leukemia as part of a combination regimen.
Adults and Children:
Individualize. Usual range: 1.5–2.5mg/kg/day as a single dose. Concomitant allopurinol: reduce mercaptopurine to ⅓–¼ of the usual dose. TPMT- or NUDT15-deficient, renal or hepatic impairment: reduce dose (see full labeling).
Prior resistance to mercaptopurine.
Not effective in CNS leukemia, acute myelogenous leukemia, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, the lymphomas (including Hodgkin's disease), or solid tumors. Myelosuppression; monitor CBCs weekly and adjust dose for severe cytopenias. Consider testing for TPMT and NUDT15 deficiency in patients who experience severe bone marrow toxicities or repeated myelosuppression. Monitor serum transaminase, alkaline phosphatase, and bilirubin levels at weekly intervals when starting therapy, then monthly thereafter; interrupt treatment if evidence of hepatotoxicity occurs. Concomitant other hepatotoxic drugs or with pre-existing liver disease; monitor LFTs more frequently. Immunosuppression. Inflammatory bowel disease. Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat. D; esp. 1st trimester), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bone marrow suppression with allopurinol, aminosalicylate derivatives (eg, olsalazine, mesalazine, sulphasalazine), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. May antagonize warfarin. Caution with concomitant hepatotoxic agents.
Myelosuppression, hyperuricemia/hyperuricosuria, GI upset, intestinal ulceration, rash, hyperpigmentation, alopecia, oligospermia; hepatotoxicity, infection, immunosuppression.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Managing Comorbid Opioid and Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- What Do Clinicians Do in Response to Aberrant Urine Drug Test Results?
- Photo Elicitation on Social Media Can Provide Perspective to Patients With Chronic Pain
- Patients Assume Postoperative Opioids Are Best for Pain Relief
- Educational Disabilities More Likely With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- When Will Medicine Join the Women's Movement?