Prilocaine HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prilocaine HCl 40mg/mL; soln for inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prilocaine HCl Injection:
Local anesthesia in dentistry by nerve block or infiltration techniques.
Maxillary infiltration: initially 1–2mL; max recommended dose within a 2-hour period: <70kg: 8mg/kg; ≥70kg: 600mg. Elderly, debilitated, acutely ill: reduce dose.
<10yrs: use Clarks rule to calculate dose.
Congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia.
Have resuscitative equipment, oxygen, and standard protocol for management of malignant hyperthermia available. G6PD deficiency. Severe shock. Heart block. Hepatic disease. Impaired cardiovascular function. Head and neck block. Monitor cardiovascular and respiratory vital signs. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Local anesthetic (amide-type).
Risk of methemoglobinemia with sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilid, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, para-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine.
Swelling and persistent paresthesia of lips, oral tissue; CNS effects (eg, excitation, depression, restlessness, anxiety, dizziness, tremors), cardiovascular effects (eg, bradycardia, hypotension, cardiovascular collapse), allergic-type reactions, neurologic effects, increased creatinine phosphokinase.
Formerly known under the brand name Citanest Plain Dental.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer