Evidence allowing us to assess the benefits of and risks associated with prescription drug monitoring programs is insufficient.
In adults age 50 or older, higher education, illicit drug use, depression, and pain interference with normal work are significantly associated with opioid misuse.
Researchers examined the frequency of overpayments by comparing copayments with the national average reimbursements received by pharmacies for the same prescription for commercially insured patients.
Implementation of electronic medical record default opioid prescriptions of 10 tablets of 5 mg oxycodone/325 mg acetaminophen at discharge from the ED may be associated with an increased percentage of prescriptions for 10 tablets, compared with no default.
Nocebo hyperalgesia was stronger when the treatment was labeled as an expensive medication versus a cheap medication.
The Food and Drug Administration, in partnership with Interpol, has cracked down on over 500 websites that illegally sell potentially dangerous, unapproved medications to US consumers.
Long-term opioid prescription use increased threefold during a 16-year period between 1999 and 2014.
At PAINWeek, Dr Hah focused on the risks of long-term opioid use for chronic noncancer pain and reviewed guidelines regarding the tapering of these medications.
Market competition levels are associated with changes in the price of generic drugs.
After a comprehensive initiative to curb opioid prescribing, researchers identified reductions in all tracked outcomes, including a 30% decrease in prescribing opioids at high doses.
Health insurers are recruiting former pharmaceutical company representatives to educate doctors and help save money on prescription medications.
For adolescents, medical and nonmedical use of prescription opioids has declined in recent years.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Wearable Device Cleared for Use During Opioid Detoxification
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit