Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisone 1mg, 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg, 20mg, 50mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prednisone:
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Initially 5–60mg daily.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines.
Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Hypothyroidism. Ocular herpes simplex. Cirrhosis. Renal insufficiency. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Kaposi's sarcoma. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. May cause electrolyte imbalances, adrenocortical insufficiency, psychotic derangements. Alternate, intermittent, or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, other hepatic enyzme inducers may decrease effects. Potentiated by ketoconazole, troleandomycin. Excretion of high-dose aspirin increased. Caution with diuretics, digoxin, aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. Potentiated by oral contraceptives. Monitor oral anticoagulants.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Formerly known under the brand names Deltasone, Meticorten, Orasone, Paracort.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Brain Plasticity in Patients With Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Perturbation-Based Rehabilitation Effective for Chronic Low Back Pain
- IBS-Associated Chronic Pain: Formulation of Core Diagnostic Criteria
- Fluoroscopically Guided Sacroiliac Interventions: Appropriate Use Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Relationship Between Pain and Negative Affect
- Cannabis Use Associated With Aberrant Drug Behaviors
- Walgreens to Carry Naloxone in All Pharmacies to Combat Drug Abuse
- Independent Pharmacies Expanding Services Available to Patients
- Ketamine Exhibits Effective Pain Relief for Refractory Headaches
- Pain In Elite Athletes: IOC Recommendations on Contributing Factors and Treatment Approach
- Naproxen Plus Muscle Relaxants vs Naproxen Monotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Pain Processing: Examining the Role of Oxytocin
- Short- vs Long-Acting Opioids for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Injections Reduce Opioid Dependence
- Depressive Symptoms in Medical Interns Increased With Work-Family Conflicts