Intraoperative systemic lidocaine may reduce chronic persistent postmastectomy pain at 6 months after surgery.
Post-operative opioid therapy may not be necessary for patients undergoing ankle surgery.
In patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty, sciatic nerve block plus femoral nerve block was more effective for pain relief than local infiltration analgesia plus femoral nerve block.
Many patients experience pain months after nephrectomy. Continuous surgical site analgesia may offer the best long-term pain control.
The lack of evidence base for treating chronic pain with neurostimulation resulted in the development of guideline recommendations based on systematic review and meta-analysis of published studies.
The researchers concluded that the results from this systematic review and meta-analysis are promising, and that it is worth investing in these recommendations in future research to be able to eventually offer massage therapy to surgical patients experiencing pain.
Importance of finding ways to mitigate chronic opioid use after surgery.
Effective management of perioperative pain may reduce the frequency and duration of postmastectomy pain syndrome.
Despite legislation, there is a longer wait time for vital acute-care medications.
Preoperative opioid use is a better predictor for prolonged postoperative opioid use than pain, substance abuse, and affective disorder.
New research suggests that ibuprofen does not increase the risk of bleeding after plastic surgery procedures.
This randomized, controlled study found that women assigned to a PO patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) regimen after c/s had comparable rates of pain control as compared to patients receiving standard parental analgesia for postoperative pain management.
To understand patterns of postoperative opioid prescribing over time, researchers examined the trends of commonly-prescribed opioids after low-risk surgical procedures in the United States.
Of the patients who received TXA, 9.7% received a blood transfusion, compared with 22.1% of patients who did not receive TXA.
No improvement in postoperative outcomes compared with prescribed exercise program.
In adolescents undergoing scoliosis surgery, anxiety and depression higher before procedure.
Care plan should be tailored to the individual and type of surgical procedure involved.
Patients who listened to guided meditation or music during their biopsy reported significantly greater reductions in anxiety and fatigue than standard care.
Researchers examined a variety of clinical, laboratory, and CT findings to see if they were predictive of death, and identified 9 factors statistically associated with mortality.
American Board of Anesthesiology President Cynthia Lien discusses how the new version of the ABA's CME program will help anesthesiologists stay on top of their medical knowledge.
A potential advantage of the less invasive procedure is that it avoids trauma to surrounding tendons, nerves, vessels and muscles during surgery.
Risk stratification, drug screening, and pharmacogenetic testing should guide prescribing habits.
CPA reports on a new analgesic formulation designed to provide both immediate and prolonged analgesia for up to 12 hours in patients with acute pain.
Many patients have improved mobility and joint pain reduction 3 years after bariatric surgery.
Researchers report that mistakes were made during almost half of the operations they analyzed.
Patients who don't resume statins 2 days after surgery have a 40% higher mortality rate.
Reassuring voice hypnosis might even beat antianxiety meds in lowering preoperative distress.
The common steroid methylprednisolone does not reduce lasting pain at the incision site after heart surgery.
Increased risk of myocardial infarction in first post-op month; but not during overall follow-up.
Worse outcomes include increased hospital length of stay, disability, and mortality.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality for Pain Relief: Understanding the Underlying Mechanisms
- Vibrating Gloves Significantly Reduce Osteoarthritis-Related Hand Pain
- Neuroinflammation in Neuropathic Pain Indicated by Elevated Levels of Proinflammatory Chemokines in CSF
- Neuroimaging for Chronic Pain: IASP Consensus Statement
- Hypertension in Chronic Pain: Risk Factors
- Liposomal Bupivacaine Effective for Shoulder Arthroplasty-Related Pain
- Reducing the P-Value for Statistical Significance to Improve the Quality of Research?
- FDA's Strategies for Managing Patients Taking CNS Depressants and Opioids
- Electrotherapy, Acupuncture May Decrease Pain Following Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Low-Dose Oromucosal Ibuprofen Effective for Relieving Sore Throat
- Survey Finds Teens Divided on Beliefs and Attitudes of Prescription Drug Abuse
- HIV-Positive Patients Experience Frequent Headaches
- Low-Dose Perineural Dexamethasone Prolongs Effects of Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Business Savvy Tips for Buying a Practice
- Diphenhydramine Decreases Pain During Colonoscopy for Chronic Opioid Users