The use of a topical capsaicin 8%may be effective in neuropathic pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia or resulting from trauma or surgery.
ZTlido is comprised of a non-aqueous adhesive material containing 1.8% lidocaine.
Analgesics may be more effective in alleviating pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia compared with topical therapies, antivirals, antidepressants, and antiepileptics.
Systemic lidocaine administered via IV or patch has consistently shown effectiveness for the treatment and prevention of chronic pain.
Researchers observed a reduction in pain score in a patient using wireless peripheral nerve stimulation for chronic pain secondary to postherpetic neuralgia.
Gabapentin, at doses of 1800 mg to 3600 mg can provide "good levels of pain relief" to some individuals suffering from postherpetic neuralgia and peripheral diabetic neuropathy.
Results from the ASCEND study recently published in BioMed Central Neurology indicate that an 8% capsaicin patch is effective in relieving peripheral neuropathic pain resulting from a wide range of etiologies.
Researchers identified 3 subgroups of patients with peripheral neuropathic pain, based on sensory signs and symptoms.
The therapeutic efficacy of pregabalin in treating 2 types neuropathic pain (NeP) is not influenced by concomitant NeP medications.
Because the increased cytokine levels in the acute phase of herpes zoster are assumed to be a potential mechanism for inducing PHN, the early suppression of these cytokines by LLLT may help prevent the development of PHN.
Report demonstrates benefit in severe photophobia secondary to trigeminal postherpetic neuralgia
Odds of herpes zoster 70% higher among people with respiratory condition.
At willingness-to-pay threshold of 100,000 per QALY, 3 probability of vaccine being cost-effective.
Despite the availability of shingles immunization and treatment options, the incidence of postherpetic neuralgia is increasing.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer