Analgesics may be more effective in alleviating pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia compared with topical therapies, antivirals, antidepressants, and antiepileptics.
Systemic lidocaine administered via IV or patch has consistently shown effectiveness for the treatment and prevention of chronic pain.
Researchers observed a reduction in pain score in a patient using wireless peripheral nerve stimulation for chronic pain secondary to postherpetic neuralgia.
Gabapentin, at doses of 1800 mg to 3600 mg can provide "good levels of pain relief" to some individuals suffering from postherpetic neuralgia and peripheral diabetic neuropathy.
Results from the ASCEND study recently published in BioMed Central Neurology indicate that an 8% capsaicin patch is effective in relieving peripheral neuropathic pain resulting from a wide range of etiologies.
Researchers identified 3 subgroups of patients with peripheral neuropathic pain, based on sensory signs and symptoms.
The therapeutic efficacy of pregabalin in treating 2 types neuropathic pain (NeP) is not influenced by concomitant NeP medications.
Because the increased cytokine levels in the acute phase of herpes zoster are assumed to be a potential mechanism for inducing PHN, the early suppression of these cytokines by LLLT may help prevent the development of PHN.
Report demonstrates benefit in severe photophobia secondary to trigeminal postherpetic neuralgia
Odds of herpes zoster 70% higher among people with respiratory condition.
At willingness-to-pay threshold of 100,000 per QALY, 3 probability of vaccine being cost-effective.
Despite the availability of shingles immunization and treatment options, the incidence of postherpetic neuralgia is increasing.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Non-Opioid Therapies for Pain Management in the ED
- CBT vs Pain Education for Chronic Pain in Low-Income Clinics
- Risks Associated With Intra-Articular Lumbar Facet Joint Injections of Triamcinolone Acetonide for Low Back Pain
- Factors Predicting Pain Outcomes After TKR for Knee Osteoarthritis
- Lumbar Disc Herniation With Radiculopathy Treatment Using Targeted Indwelling ESI
- Exploring the Connections Between Neuropathic Pain and Comorbid Mood Disorders
- Medical Marijuana Laws, Dispensaries May Reduce Deaths From Opioid Overdose
- Ketamine Infusion May Be Effective for the Short-Term Relief of CRPS-Associated Pain
- An Avenue for the Development of Opioid Adjuncts for Enhanced Analgesia, Reduced Abuse Potential
- Spinal Manipulative Therapy May Effectively Reduce Cervicogenic Headache Days
- Peripherally Acting Opioid and Cannabinoid May Be Effective for Neuropathic Pain
- Positive Affect, Resilience, and Pain in MS With Chronic Pain
- Addressing Clinician Burnout at the Institutional Level
- Glucosamine vs Ibuprofen for Painful Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis
- Chronic Pain in Adolescents and Alexithymia