Generic Name and Formulations:
Pindolol 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Pindolol:
Initially 5mg twice daily. May increase after 3–4 wks in 10mg increments; max 60mg daily.
Asthma. Severe bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt heart failure. Cardiogenic shock.
Severe COPD. Ischemic heart disease or failure. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypotension with prazosin, reserpine. Adjust antidiabetic medications. Caution with verapamil, catecholamine-depleting drugs. May block epinephrine, β-agonists. Potentiated by thioridazine.
Muscle pain, insomnia, dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, joint pain, edema, dyspnea, GI upset, paresthesias, chest pain, pruritus, bradycardia, bronchospasm, heart failure or block, angina.
Formerly known under the brand name Visken.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Higher PainDETECT Scores, Neuropathic Pain Preoperatively May Increase Risk for Chronic Pain Post-TKR
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Erenumab Reduces Monthly Migraine Days in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Migraine
- Government and Industry Lead the Way in Funding USPSTF Systematic Reviews
- Communication-Based Intervention Increases Goals-of-Care Discussions Between Physicians, Patients With Serious Illness