Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethotoin 250mg; tabs.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for PEGANONE:
For the control of tonic-clonic (grand mal) and complex partial (psychomotor) seizures.
Take after food. Individualize. Give in 4 to 6 divided doses daily. Initially 1g or less daily, with subsequent gradual dose increases over a period of several days. Usual maintenance: 2–3g daily.
<1yr: not recommended. ≥1yr: Take after food. Individualize. Give in 4 to 6 divided doses daily. Initial max 750mg daily. Usual maintenance: 500mg–1g daily, although occasionally 2g or (rarely) 3g daily may be necessary. Concomitant other antiepileptic: reduce dose while increasing Peganone dose.
Hepatic abnormalities. Hematologic disorders.
Monitor for emergence of depression, suicidal thoughts/behavior, and/or unusual changes in mood/behavior. Hepatic dysfunction: perform LFTs; discontinue if liver damage occurs. Monitor blood counts, urinalysis when therapy is begun and at monthly intervals for several months thereafter. Pregnancy (Cat. D; avoid). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with coumarin anticoagulants; monitor.
GI upset, chest pain, nystagmus, diplopia, fever, dizziness, headache, insomnia, fatigue, numbness, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, blood dyscrasias, ataxia, gum hypertrophy, lymphadenopathy (withdraw if occurs), systemic lupus erythematosus.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Analyzing Coverage of Nonpharmacologic Treatments for Low Back Pain
- Smartphone App Helps Evaluate Catastrophizing in Chronic Pain
- Predicting the Magnitude of Placebo Analgesia in Chronic Pain
- Dsuvia Gains FDA Approval: We Want to Hear Your Thoughts
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Dozens of Medical Groups Join Forces to Improve Diagnoses
- FDA Grants Non-Opioid Analgesic VVZ-149 Fast Track Status
- Little to No Association Found Between Physician Performance and Medical School Ranking