In this retrospective analysis of the Pediatric Health Information System database, investigators obtained data on pediatric hospitalizations for opioid exposure in the US between 2004 and 2015.
The Food and Drug Administration is requiring that changes be made to the labeling of prescription cough and cold medicines containing codeine and hydrocodone.
The pregnant patient with rheumatoid arthritis may need to have pain medication changed due to potential effects on the fetus.
One study, published in the International Journal of Nursing Studies in 2015, found that parental preferences strongly influence decision-making when balancing pain relief against side effects for children on opioid therapy for postoperative pain.
Marathon Pharmaceuticals announced positive results from the Phase 3 study of Zingo (lidocaine hydrochloride monohydrate) for the reduction of venous access pain in pediatric patients.
New research in Pediatrics suggests that children who are exposed to antibiotics could have an increased risk of newly diagnosed juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), but that antibiotic use could be a marker for abnormal immunity rather than a direct cause of JIA.
Study discusses link between opioid use and neonatal abstinence syndrome.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer