In this retrospective analysis of the Pediatric Health Information System database, investigators obtained data on pediatric hospitalizations for opioid exposure in the US between 2004 and 2015.
The Food and Drug Administration is requiring that changes be made to the labeling of prescription cough and cold medicines containing codeine and hydrocodone.
The pregnant patient with rheumatoid arthritis may need to have pain medication changed due to potential effects on the fetus.
One study, published in the International Journal of Nursing Studies in 2015, found that parental preferences strongly influence decision-making when balancing pain relief against side effects for children on opioid therapy for postoperative pain.
Marathon Pharmaceuticals announced positive results from the Phase 3 study of Zingo (lidocaine hydrochloride monohydrate) for the reduction of venous access pain in pediatric patients.
New research in Pediatrics suggests that children who are exposed to antibiotics could have an increased risk of newly diagnosed juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), but that antibiotic use could be a marker for abnormal immunity rather than a direct cause of JIA.
Study discusses link between opioid use and neonatal abstinence syndrome.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Parenteral Hydromorphone for Migraine and ED Revisits
- Tackling the Chronic Pain and Opioid Use Disorder Crises Through Public-Private Partnerships
- Pain Tolerance in Buprenorphine Maintenance Treatment
- The State of Drug Storage, Disposal Labeling Information for Opioid Analgesics
- Incidence of Musculoskeletal Disorders, Depression in Migraine
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Chronic Hip Pain: Reviewing the Evidence
- Opioid Use Disorder Treatment: Evidence-Based Guideline
- Peripheral Neuropathy Management in the Primary Care Setting: A Guide
- Betel Quid Addiction and Implications for Substance Use Disorder
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies, and Effective Treatments
- Predicting Suicidal Ideation in Veterans With Chronic Pain
- Femoral Nerve Block Alone or in Combination With Sciatic Nerve Block for TKA: A Meta-Analysis
- Improved Care Efficiency Requires a More Manageable System
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine
- Medication Adherence, Blood Pressure Reduction Assessed With Smartphone App Use