One study, published in the International Journal of Nursing Studies in 2015, found that parental preferences strongly influence decision-making when balancing pain relief against side effects for children on opioid therapy for postoperative pain.
The prevalence of neck pain has been reported to be increasing among adolescents, but how this pain might affect head posture and endurance of the neck muscles in this age group has received little attention.
There was also a significant difference in hospital costs between the discharged and admitted patients, with an average increase in $4291.50 for admitted patients.
Risk of developing sedation/anesthesia adverse events continues up to age 23 years.
Preschool children may be confused by scales designed for older children, and their responses may be idiosyncratic and hard to interpret.
Survey suggests need for improvements in clinical practice, training, and communication on this topic.
AAP provides guidance relating to care team, resources committed to patient care, and pediatric-specific techniques.
Serious eye injuries, organ damage can occur, researchers warn.
Shortened fasting improves perioperative experience without raising pulmonary aspiration incidence.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Intrathecal Ziconotide Long-Term Efficacy and Safety for Severe Chronic Pain
- Sciatic Plus Femoral Nerve Blocks Effective on Total Hip Arthroplasty-Related Pain
- Psychological Factors, Not Opioid Use, Linked with Disability After Fracture Surgery
- Acupressure Not Effective as Adjunctive Therapy to Sodium Valproate for Chronic Migraine With Aura
- Morphine Lacks Efficacy for RA, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia
- Yoga Improves Health Outcomes in Veterans With Chronic Low Back Pain
- The Advice You Give Your Patients May Be Just What They Need to Hear
- Childhood Adversity Common in Patients With Fibromyalgia, Chronic Widespread Pain
- Peripheral Nerve Stimulation Effective for Chronic Pain With Postherpetic Neuralgia
- Neonatal Withdrawal Risk Higher With Opioids Plus Psychotropic Drugs