Balanced Pain Management and Overdose Prevention Strategies
The FDA commissioner recently announced the formation of an Opioid Policy Steering Committee to “explore and develop additional tools or strategies [the] FDA can use to confront this crisis.”
|The following article features coverage from PAINWeek 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Click here to read more of Clinical Pain Advisor's conference coverage.|
LAS VEGAS – At PAINWeek 2017, held September 5-9, Lisa McElhaney, BS, president of the National Association of Drug Diversion Investigators (NADDI), discussed ways to balance pain management needs and overdose prevention measures.1
Read more of Clinical Pain Advisor's coverage of PAINWeek 2017 by visiting the conference page.
- McElhaney L. Balanced Pain Management & Overdose Prevention Strategies. Presented at Pain Week 2017; September 5-9, 2017; Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Katz J. Drug deaths in America are rising faster than ever. The New York Times. 2017. www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/05/upshot/opioid-epidemic-drug-overdose-deaths-are-rising-faster-than-ever.html. Accessed September 5, 2017.
- Gottlieb S. FDA commissioner asks staff for ‘more forceful steps' to stem the opioid crisis. 2017. https://blogs.fda.gov/fdavoice/index.php/2017/05/fda-commissioner-asks-staff-for-more-forceful-steps-to-stem-the-opioid-crisis. Accessed September 5, 2017.
- Hahn K. Strategies to prevent opioid misuse, abuse, and diversion that may also reduce the associated costs. Am Health Drug Benefits. 2011; 4(2):107-114.
- Alliance for Balanced Pain Management. What is balanced pain management? 2013. http://alliancebpm.org/educate. Accessed September 5, 2017.