Numerous pain medications are available, presenting a challenge for clinicians to determine which one is best for a particular patient.
In one analysis of acupuncture, a moderate effect size was found for acupuncture vs no treatment, while a smaller yet statistically significant effect size was found for acupuncture over sham acupuncture techniques.
Counseling is key to safe and effective opioid use and storage.
Review risk factors for complicated postoperative pain management.
The Risk Index for Overdose or Serious Opioid-Induced Respiratory Depression (RIOSORD) is a validated tool that can help clinicians quantify a patient's risk of overdose.
There are 5 skills that physicians can use to help treat patients with pain.
Several recent approvals of abuse-deterrent formulations have changed the landscape of options for pain management.
"Details matter" when taking an integrative approach to chronic pain care.
Good outcomes begin with a foundation of thorough evaluation and assessment.
Providers may overlook or be unaware of the different tools available to them to assist them in pain management decisions.
ED physicians should consider a patient's subjective pain assessment by specifically asking how pain is affecting function, and then adjust treatment approaches based on a physical examination.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Vibrating Gloves Significantly Reduce Osteoarthritis-Related Hand Pain
- Neuroimaging for Chronic Pain: IASP Consensus Statement
- Neuroinflammation in Neuropathic Pain Indicated by Elevated Levels of Proinflammatory Chemokines in CSF
- Low-Dose Perineural Dexamethasone Prolongs Effects of Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Hypertension in Chronic Pain: Risk Factors
- Liposomal Bupivacaine Effective for Shoulder Arthroplasty-Related Pain
- Reducing the P-Value for Statistical Significance to Improve the Quality of Research?
- FDA's Strategies for Managing Patients Taking CNS Depressants and Opioids
- Opioid Prescriptions Following Common Surgeries: Optimal Durations
- Electrotherapy, Acupuncture May Decrease Pain Following Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Opioid Use Low Among Veterans With Recent Traumatic Brain Injury Diagnosis
- Predictive Ability of Intermittent Pain Diaries in Sickle Cell Disease
- Recurrent Chest Pain Linked to Depression, Anxiety
- Nasal Sumatriptan Results in Faster Migraine Pain Relief
- Pay Inequality, Contract Negotiation Top Concerns for Female Physicians