Certain inflammatory disorders may increase the risk for cardiometabolic events and all-cause mortality.
A brief behavioral intervention delivered in a primary care setting was found to be effective for youth with anxiety and depression.
More than half of all opioids prescribed in the United States are for patients who have a mental health disorder.
Older adults with persistent pain showed more rapid memory decline and greater dementia probability compared with adults without persistent pain.
Rapid increases in prescription opioid dose may lead to higher rates of new-onset depression.
While many organizations have created plans in an attempt to curb the opioid epidemic, how can we know which plans will work?
Daily cannabis use nearly doubled between 2002 and 2014, and fewer people perceive the drug as harmful.
Non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is a significant risk factor for heroin use among United States veterans.
The COR-12 treatment program includes group therapy and lectures that focus on opioid addiction, as well as 2 extended medication assistance options.
Pain management questions from patient satisfaction surveys have been used to influence Medicare reimbursement rates and have resulted in unintended consequences in light of the nation's opioid epidemic.
In states where marijuana is legalized for medicinal purposes, Medicare's prescription drug benefit program has lowered its spending due to reduced prescription drug use.
Web forum discussions have seen a notable increase in concerns of loperamide abuse.
This week, an FDA committee of outside experts will meet to review risk-management plans in an effort to reduce opioids misuse.
Treatment of older people with depression and pain should be multifactorial, including a psychological component with a focus on perceived control.
New research reviews nationwide patterns of painkiller prescribing following surgical tooth extraction.
Much of the third world is suffering in pain without access to opioids. This imbalance has been called the opioid gap. How can we get opioids to patients who need them?
Active smokers had a worse cumulative degenerative disk disease score by an average of 1 point.
There is a new online-based medication management option designed to assist clinicians prescribing opioids with spotting and monitoring overprescribing.
The committee voted 12 to 5 in favor of approving probuphine, the first long-acting, subdermal buprenorphine implant to treat addiction to opioids.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy does not facilitate wound healing or reduce indications for amputation.
Opioid-related new onset of depression is associated with longer duration of use.
The Clinical Pain Advisor reviews a recent study in the Journal of Pain Research showing increased DMN activity during task-negative periods in patients with fibromyalgia and insomnia compared to patients with fibromyalgia alone.
In 1996, those aged 50 to 59 made up 7.8% of the total patient population of opioid users, and in 2012 they made up 35.9% of the patient population.
Pain either does or does not occur from the outset, and its presentation changes with disease progression.
Depression, substance abuse are commonly reported in patients who have chronic pain.
Risk stratification, drug screening, and pharmacogenetic testing should guide prescribing habits.
As marijuana use becomes more prevalent, some are concerned about how parents' marijuana use affects their children.
Ruth Defrin, PhD, and colleagues from Tel-Aviv University in Israel have uncovered new information on the mechanism underlying comorbid PTSD and chronic pain.
Although coprescripting these two pain medications may be appropriate in some situations, complex pharmacokinetic interactions with concurrent use increases adverse effect risk.
Research confirms high prevalence of pain, affecting more than half of those with multiple sclerosis
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Vibrating Gloves Significantly Reduce Osteoarthritis-Related Hand Pain
- Neuroimaging for Chronic Pain: IASP Consensus Statement
- Neuroinflammation in Neuropathic Pain Indicated by Elevated Levels of Proinflammatory Chemokines in CSF
- Low-Dose Perineural Dexamethasone Prolongs Effects of Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Hypertension in Chronic Pain: Risk Factors
- Liposomal Bupivacaine Effective for Shoulder Arthroplasty-Related Pain
- Reducing the P-Value for Statistical Significance to Improve the Quality of Research?
- FDA's Strategies for Managing Patients Taking CNS Depressants and Opioids
- Opioid Prescriptions Following Common Surgeries: Optimal Durations
- Electrotherapy, Acupuncture May Decrease Pain Following Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Opioid Use Low Among Veterans With Recent Traumatic Brain Injury Diagnosis
- Predictive Ability of Intermittent Pain Diaries in Sickle Cell Disease
- Recurrent Chest Pain Linked to Depression, Anxiety
- Nasal Sumatriptan Results in Faster Migraine Pain Relief
- Pay Inequality, Contract Negotiation Top Concerns for Female Physicians