Generic Name and Formulations:
Methoxsalen 1%; lotion; contains alcohol 71%.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for OXSORALEN:
As a topical repigmenting agent in vitiligo in conjunction with controlled doses of ultraviolet A (320–400 nm) or sunlight.
Individualize. Use gloves or finger cots to apply. Apply to to well-defined area of vitiligo, then expose to suitable source of UVA. Treatment intervals should be regulated by erythema response; generally once a week is recommended or less often depending on results. Pigmentation may begin after a few weeks with significant repigmentation after 6 to 9 months of treatment. Repigmentation occurs more rapidly in fleshy areas (eg, face, abdomen, buttocks) and less rapidly in less fleshy areas (eg, dorsum of the hands or feet).
Idiosyncratic reactions to psoralen compounds. Melanoma or history of. Invasive skin carcinoma. Photosensitivity diseases (eg, porphyria, acute lupus erythematosus, xeroderma pigmentosum). Children <12yrs.
To be used only by physicians; do not dispense to patients. Keep treated areas protected from sun. Possible increased risk of skin cancer; caution in patients with fair-skin, or those with history of prior coal tar UV treatment, or who have had ionizing radiation, or taken arsenical compounds. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with concomitant photosensitizing agents (eg, anthralin, coal tar or derivatives, griseofulvin, phenothiazines, nalidixic acid, halogenated salicylanilides, sulfonamides, tetracyclines, thiazides, certain organic staining dyes).
Severe burns (from overexposure to UVA).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use High in Migraine
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Percutaneous Electrolysis May Be Useful Adjunct for Subacromial Pain Syndrome
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use