Generic Name and Formulations:
Pimavanserin 17mg; tabs.
Indications for NUPLAZID:
Treatment of hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson's disease (PD) psychosis.
34mg (taken as two 17mg tablets) once daily without titration. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors: 17mg once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers: monitor and dose increase may be needed.
Elderly with dementia-related psychosis: increased risk of death. Not for treating patients with dementia-related psychosis unrelated to the hallucinations/delusions associated with PD psychosis. Avoid in patients with known or congenital QT prolongation, history of cardiac arrhythmias, symptomatic bradycardia, hypokalemia, or hypomagnesemia. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min), ESRD. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin, indinavir); see Adults. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, carbamazepine, phenytoin, St. John's wort). Avoid concomitant drugs known to prolong QT interval including Class 1A (eg, quinidine, procainamide, disopyramide) or Class 3 antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, sotalol), certain antipsychotics (eg, ziprasidone, chlorpromazine, thioridazine), and certain antibiotics (eg, gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin).
Peripheral edema, confusional state, nausea, hallucination, constipation, gait disturbance.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use High in Migraine
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Percutaneous Electrolysis May Be Useful Adjunct for Subacromial Pain Syndrome
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use