Generic Name and Formulations:
Memantine HCl 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Indications for NAMENDA:
Moderate-to-severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type.
Initially 5mg once daily; titrate at intervals of at least 1 week to 5mg twice daily, then to 5mg and 10mg as separate doses, then to 10mg twice daily (prescribe Titration Pak for 1st 4 weeks). Severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): titrate to max 5mg twice daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Alkalinized urine (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTI) increases memantine serum levels. Seizure disorder. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with other NMDA antagonists (eg, amantadine, ketamine, dextromethorphan). May affect or be affected by renally-excreted drugs (eg, triamterene, HCTZ, metformin, cimetidine, nicotine, ranitidine, quinidine). Plasma levels may be increased by urinary alkalinizers.
NMDA receptor antagonist.
Headache, dizziness, confusion, diarrhea, constipation, hypertension, pain, somnolence, hallucination, urinary disorders, dyspnea.
Tabs (YES); Oral soln, XR caps (NO)
Tabs—60; Titration Pak (28 x 5mg + 21 x 10mg)—1; Oral soln—360mL; XR caps 7mg, 21mg—30; 14mg, 28mg—30, 90; XR Titration Pak (7 x 7mg + 7 x 14mg + 7 x 21mg + 7 x 28mg)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Brain Plasticity in Patients With Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Perturbation-Based Rehabilitation Effective for Chronic Low Back Pain
- IBS-Associated Chronic Pain: Formulation of Core Diagnostic Criteria
- Fluoroscopically Guided Sacroiliac Interventions: Appropriate Use Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Relationship Between Pain and Negative Affect
- Cannabis Use Associated With Aberrant Drug Behaviors
- Walgreens to Carry Naloxone in All Pharmacies to Combat Drug Abuse
- Independent Pharmacies Expanding Services Available to Patients
- Ketamine Exhibits Effective Pain Relief for Refractory Headaches
- Pain In Elite Athletes: IOC Recommendations on Contributing Factors and Treatment Approach
- Naproxen Plus Muscle Relaxants vs Naproxen Monotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Pain Processing: Examining the Role of Oxytocin
- Short- vs Long-Acting Opioids for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Injections Reduce Opioid Dependence
- Depressive Symptoms in Medical Interns Increased With Work-Family Conflicts