Methadone may be superior to morphine for reducing hospital length of stay and length of drug treatment in infants with neonatal abstinence syndrome.
Oxycodone and morphine are more likely to contain messaging on package inserts describing safe storage and disposal methods compared with other commonly used and misused opioid analgesics.
The researchers found that the median prescription size was 350 mg oral morphine equivalents and median patient use was 225 mg oral morphine equivalents following open hiatal hernia repair.
The 7 opioids included for analysis were oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, tapentadol, and tramadol.
Suppression of the function of an intracellular modulator of the μ-opioid receptor was found to enhance the analgesic activity of agonists for those receptors, delay the tolerance to morphine and reduce its rewarding effects
Slow-Release Oral Morphine, a Promising Opioid Agonist Therapy Alternative to Buprenorphine, MethadoneJanuary 11, 2018
Slow-release oral morphine may be a valuable tool to help reduce the number of deaths from opioid-related overdose.
Acute pain management in the emergency department with low-dose ketamine may provide pain relief comparable with morphine at 30 minutes.
Continuous infusions of midazolam plus morphine do not provide additional pain relief compared with intermittent dosing of those drugs, and may increase hospital length of stay among pediatric patients who have undergone cardiac surgery.
Among children who have undergone minor outpatient orthopedic surgery, ibuprofen provides equivalent postoperative pain relief compared with oral morphine.
Administration of abuse-deterrent formulations of immediate-release oxycodone and extended-release morphine leads to slower and lower absorption rates in nondependent recreational drug users compared with standard oxycodone and morphine formulations.
For patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis, morphine has anti-hyperalgesic effects comparable with placebo.
In patients with severe chronic pain refractory to conventional therapy, intrathecal ziconotide provided long-term pain relief, particularly when used as first-line intrathecal therapy.
In infants with neonatal abstinence syndrome, sublingual buprenorphine reduced the duration of treatment and decreased the length of hospital stay.
The low dose of the microdose method reduces the formation of catheter tip granuloma.
Perioperative lidocaine does not reduce morphine use in the first 24 hours after posterior arthrodesis and offers no measurable benefits.
Chronic pain patients being treated with certain opioid and non-opioid medications had significantly lower serum concentrations of free testosterone and free estradiol.
Fentanyl sublingual tablets are preferred over subcutaneous morphine in patients with severe breakthrough cancer pain.
Polymorphism at the level of drug receptors, transporters, or other proteins involved in drug metabolism or action may have an impact on the effect of a drug.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Factors Associated With Suboptimal Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block for Arthroscopy
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Scholarship Support Limited for Veterans Enrolling in MD Programs
- Alpha and Beta Band Activity in MS-Related Chronic Pain
- New Opioid-Induced Constipation Management Guidelines Available