Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylergonovine maleate 0.2mg; tabs.
Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for METHERGINE:
Following delivery of the placenta, for routine management of uterine atony, hemorrhage, and subinvolution of the uterus. For control of uterine hemorrhage in the second stage of labor following delivery of the anterior shoulder.
0.2mg 3–4 times a day in the puerperium for max 1 week.
Hypertension. Toxemia. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid intra-arterial, periarterial injection. Coronary artery disease or risk factors; may be more susceptible to developing MI and infarction associated with methylergonovine-induced vasospasm. Sepsis. Obliterative vascular disease. Hepatic or renal disease. 2nd stage of labor. Nursing mothers: not recommended (wait at least 12hrs after last dose before initiating or resuming feeding).
Potentiated by vasoconstrictors, other ergot alkaloids, prostaglandins, beta-blockers. Potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, macrolides, protease inhibitors, reverse transcriptase inhibitors, azole antifungals): not recommended. Use caution with less potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluconazole, grapefruit juice, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, zileuton, clotrimazole). Antagonized by strong inducers of CYP3A4 (eg, nevirapine, rifampicin), anesthetics (eg, halothane, methoxyflurane). Antagonizes glyceryl trinitrate, other antianginal drugs.
Hypertension associated with seizure and/or headache, hypotension, abdominal pain, GI upset; rare: cardiovascular effects (eg, vasoconstriction, acute MI, transient chest pains).
Tabs—7, 12, 28, 100; Inj (1mL amps)—20
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Brain Plasticity in Patients With Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Chronic Pain Associated With Traumatic Brain Injury: Causes and Management
- Perturbation-Based Rehabilitation Effective for Chronic Low Back Pain
- Migraine Frequency Correlated With Depression and Anxiety
- IBS-Associated Chronic Pain: Formulation of Core Diagnostic Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Aberrant Drug Behaviors
- Walgreens to Carry Naloxone in All Pharmacies to Combat Drug Abuse
- Independent Pharmacies Expanding Services Available to Patients
- Ketamine Exhibits Effective Pain Relief for Refractory Headaches
- Pain In Elite Athletes: IOC Recommendations on Contributing Factors and Treatment Approach
- Naproxen Plus Muscle Relaxants vs Naproxen Monotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Pain Processing: Examining the Role of Oxytocin
- Short- vs Long-Acting Opioids for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Injections Reduce Opioid Dependence
- Depressive Symptoms in Medical Interns Increased With Work-Family Conflicts