Generic Name and Formulations:
Atovaquone 750mg/5mL; oral susp; citrus flavor.
Indications for MEPRON:
Treatment of mild-to-moderate Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP) in patients intolerant to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX). Prevention of PCP in patients intolerant to TMP/SMX.
Limitations Of use:
Treatment of more severe PCP has not been studied. Mepron's efficacy has not been studied in those who are failing therapy with TMP/SMX.
Take with food. ≥13yrs: Treatment: 750mg twice daily for 21 days. Prophylaxis: 1500mg once daily.
<13yrs: not established.
GI disorders or inability to take with food. Monitor in severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant rifampin or rifabutin: not recommended. Antagonized by tetracycline; caution and monitor if use is needed. May be antagonized by metoclopramide (use only if other antiemetics are not available). Antagonizes indinavir; caution and monitor if use is needed.
Diarrhea, rash, headache, nausea, fever, rhinitis, vomiting, sweating, flu syndrome, sinusitis, pruritus, insomnia, depression, myalgia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- FDA Takes Steps to Reconcile Needs of Patients With Chronic Pain, Efforts to Curb Opioid Epidemic
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Neuropathic Symptoms Worsen Quality of Life, Function in Hip, Knee Osteoarthritis
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- Switching From Buprenorphine-Naltrexone to XR-Naltrexone as Effective as XR-Naltrexone
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Human Diagnosis Project Aims to Address Challenges Among Uninsured
- Healthcare Technology Affects Younger Patient Satisfaction
- FDA Announces New Drug Shortages Task Force