Generic Name and Formulations:
Rizatriptan (as benzoate) 5mg, 10mg; orally-disintegrating tabs; peppermint flavor; contains phenylalanine.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for MAXALT-MLT:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: Initially 5 or 10mg; may repeat after 2 hrs; max 30mg/day. Concomitant propranolol: use 5mg dose; max 3 doses/day. The safety of treating, on average, more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic heart disease (eg, angina pectoris, history of MI, documented silent ischemia). Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina). Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Within 24 hours of other 5-HT1 agonists or ergot-type drugs. During or within 2 weeks after discontinuing MAOIs.
Confirm diagnosis. Reevaluate if angina or ischemia symptoms (eg, ischemic bowel syndrome) occur, or if no response after 1st dose. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, post-menopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia following other 5-HT1 agonists. Hepatic dysfunction. Dialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
MAOIs, methysergide, other ergotamines, or other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Caution with SSRIs. Exposure increased by propranolol.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
Asthenia, somnolence, dizziness, paresthesia, chest/jaw/throat pressure or other pain, dry mouth, nausea, headache; serious cardiac events (rare).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Brain Plasticity in Patients With Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Perturbation-Based Rehabilitation Effective for Chronic Low Back Pain
- IBS-Associated Chronic Pain: Formulation of Core Diagnostic Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Relationship Between Pain and Negative Affect
- Fluoroscopically Guided Sacroiliac Interventions: Appropriate Use Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Aberrant Drug Behaviors
- Walgreens to Carry Naloxone in All Pharmacies to Combat Drug Abuse
- Independent Pharmacies Expanding Services Available to Patients
- Ketamine Exhibits Effective Pain Relief for Refractory Headaches
- Pain In Elite Athletes: IOC Recommendations on Contributing Factors and Treatment Approach
- Naproxen Plus Muscle Relaxants vs Naproxen Monotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Pain Processing: Examining the Role of Oxytocin
- Short- vs Long-Acting Opioids for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Injections Reduce Opioid Dependence
- Depressive Symptoms in Medical Interns Increased With Work-Family Conflicts